|Courtesy of www.VincentVanGogh.org|
This drawing, View of Saintes Maries with Church and Ramparts, depicted the view of Saintes Marries-De-La-Mer, a seaside village, with its typical fortified church. It was created using pen and ink
in June 1888 while Van Gogh stayed in Arles. He later created the painting with the same view and rows of lavenders in the foreground.
At the end of May 1888 Van Gogh traveled by diligence to spend a few days at Les Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer, a Mediterranean fishing village on the edge of the Camargue. There he found southern variants of subjects he had so much interests in. The boat, seascape and the village views.